Students will be shown how to work directly from the subject and complete the painting in one session. Jon will demonstrate the benefits of preliminary drawing or thumbnail sketches, using viewfinders, and working with a limited colour palette. No previous experience is necessary - just a willingness to have a go.
Weather permitting, the class will work "en plein air" in the grounds of the gallery or in the event of rain, work inside from a simple still life.
Students may work in oil or acrylic paints- if using oils, then students must use low odour solvent and bring a separate container for this.
Students to bring:
- A4 visual diary, sketchbook, pen and pencil
- Canvas-size and brand TBC
- Suggested colours: Lemon or cadmium yellow pale Rose red or alizarin crimson Cadmium red Phthalo blue and ultra marine blue Titanium white
- Brushes: 2 hogs hair short bright or Filbert, size 10 or 12, and 4 or 6
- Palette knife (not too pointy)
- A large flat tear-off palette
- Water or solvent container
- Rags and paper towels
- A portable easel is optional, but recommended
$150 / $140 Gosford Regional Gallery members (lunch provided)
Image: Jon Ellis (detail)